PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

87Limited
01-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Am trying to get my '87 Limited started (been in a garage parked for 3 years or so). Changed oil/filter/fuel filter/etc/etc today, have spark, yet no fuel pressure in rail at test port. (yes, there is fuel in the tank :D ) I don't hear the pump cycle up either when key is turned on. Me thinks fuel pump gave up the ghost - do the experts agree? :confused:

Keller
01-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Could be the fuel pump relay.

You need to take a wire get power to the fuel pump test connector. Its on the driver's side of the engine compartment, behind the A/C compressor. Black connector (open). As others have pointed out, your underhood light power connector will fit into it fine. If your pump runs with this hooked up, you likey have a bad fuel pump relay.

** Note that it will run all the time, so be careful! **

It will also bypass the relay with enough oil pressure so that the car wont quit while in motion. But you may not be able to crank enough to get enough oil pressure.

87Limited
01-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Scott - thanks for the suggestion, I will try that out. However, you started to lose me when you refer to oil pressure at the end of your response... Do you mean to say fuel pressure? Thanks!

Tom

Keller
01-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Nope.

There is a pathway for power to the fuel pump to continue to flow, even if the fuel pump relay dies while the car is in motion - through the oil pump pressure switch. It has two circuits. A oil pressure light circuit, and a fuel pump circuit 'failsafe' switch. That way, if you are on the highway and your relay fails, the car will continue to run. It will die at the next key-off, but it will run until then.

You have to look at the factory manuals to see the circuit and how its laid out. The oil pressure switch is a different one than used in a V6/V8 Regal.

87Limited
01-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Scott -

I pulled out my handy-dandy 1987 factory chassis manual (just arrived!) and I see what you mean - I didn't realize the car had that setup. Thanks for your help!

Tom

EluZioN
02-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Hello All,

I signed up just to say thanks to "Keller" for helping out and for whatever he has to do with this site.

I recently moved and after parking my 87 GN (which has been stored for nearly 2 years, but ran to move down the road), it failed to start and had no fuel pressure at the rail. I did a google search and this thread came up. I promptly connected the fuel pump test harness to the underhood light, presto, I had fuel pressure and the car started.

Thanks again,
Frank

87Limited
02-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Finally got the chance to work on the car again this weekend.. Ended up that the fuel pump was bad so after replacing everything in the tank while I was in there, put 5 gallons of fresh fuel, crank for about 10 seconds and it fired right up for first time after sitting for 3 years... Not bad. It's running a little rich right now so I've got other troubleshooting to do, but will likely start with O2 sensor and go from there.