PDA

View Full Version : Leaking fuel vapor cannister

Survivor87
02-23-2005, 08:41 PM
I am new to the forum, but have learned tons from the site; especially in the Powermaster pages. Thanks to all involved. Rescued my car from a somewhat enthusiastic but neglectful owner. My current problem came out of nowhere. Fuel leaking from the bottom of the vapor cannister, at random times. The manual says in this case to simply replace the cannister and check the hoses and routings. The hoses seem to be OK, no kinks or damage anywhere. Have a new cannister and purge valve in hand, but I want to be sure nothing else is going on before replacing it. If I pull the "tank" hose from the cannister after driving the car or even idling it for a few minutes it will gurgle fuel up a few times. Don't know if I'm causing that to happen by relieving pressure or if something else may be amiss. Would appreciate any advice or insight into this before I install the new can. Thanks.

Keller
03-03-2005, 03:17 AM
I'm curious if the vent hose back to the tank is clear, unkinked, and hooked up correctly. If the pump has been changed, something could have been messed up. I doubt its been swaped with the fuel return line, but you never know. Might be worth dropping the tank and looking at the system end-to-end if you're really worried.

Have you changed the fuel filter?

Survivor87
03-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Scott-
Thanks for the reply. Was under the car from front to back tracing the vapor line. Didn't see anything unusual. I will probably drop the tank as you suggested because I'm sure it had a pump replaced. It has a hotwire kit on it and the box of used parts that came with the car had a factory fuel pump in there. Replaced the filter yesterday. Do you recommend a new pump while I'm going to that trouble? I have no idea what the history may be other than the fact the car has 81,000 miles. Thanks,
Steve

Vacuum 6
03-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Scott-
Thanks for the reply. Was under the car from front to back tracing the vapor line. Didn't see anything unusual. I will probably drop the tank as you suggested because I'm sure it had a pump replaced. It has a hotwire kit on it and the box of used parts that came with the car had a factory fuel pump in there. Replaced the filter yesterday. Do you recommend a new pump while I'm going to that trouble? I have no idea what the history may be other than the fact the car has 81,000 miles. Thanks,
Steve

I had the exact same problem. Does your fuel system stay pressurized after turning your key forward? Do not start car just turn key on. In order to check you will have to get a pressure gauge ( for the fuel rail. If you system does not stay pressured the problem is the small 3” long hose inside the tank that connects the pump to the carriage. There is either a leak in the hose, the hose clamp came off or loosened. The reason the canister is filling up with fuel is this leaking fuel line is spraying fuel into the vapor line. Do not replace your canister until you fix the problem. Make sense? Replace the pump while you got the tank dropped…cheap insurance.

Keller
03-07-2005, 04:50 PM
I agree 100% with the previous post. New pump would be (relatively) cheap insurance. Throw the OEM one away.

87Limited
03-08-2005, 05:37 PM
I have a question re: Vacuum6's reply above... When I just did my fuel pump and sender, I didn't have a 3" line inside the tank connecting the pump to the carriage - I had a pulsator. (assembly went from bottom to top: fuel sock, rubber gasket/pad, pump, pulsator, sender unit). The rubber line was supplied with the pump, but didn't use it as the pulsator was there from the factory. I did replace the pulsator... Could someone clarify for me, I am curious now - thanks!

Tom

Vacuum 6
03-11-2005, 02:59 PM
I have a question re: Vacuum6's reply above... When I just did my fuel pump and sender, I didn't have a 3" line inside the tank connecting the pump to the carriage - I had a pulsator. (assembly went from bottom to top: fuel sock, rubber gasket/pad, pump, pulsator, sender unit). The rubber line was supplied with the pump, but didn't use it as the pulsator was there from the factory. I did replace the pulsator... Could someone clarify for me, I am curious now - thanks!

Tom

Tom,

I believe the pulsator keeps your pump quiet. That is all it does. You can use it or not. I removed it on my car and used the 3" fuel line. If this is not correct can someone else chime it?

Racerx88
03-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Hey Steve, I've got a pressure guage and hose somewhere if you want to borrow it. Give me a call.

Dean

Keller
03-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Yes - the pulsator is designed to keep the pump quiet. If you've gone to a bigger pump, its not going to be that quiet anyway. And it may restrict flow. I'd stick to just a hose and let things be a bit loud.

Survivor87
03-21-2005, 09:28 AM
I had the exact same problem. Does your fuel system stay pressurized after turning your key forward? Do not start car just turn key on. In order to check you will have to get a pressure gauge ( for the fuel rail. If you system does not stay pressured the problem is the small 3” long hose inside the tank that connects the pump to the carriage. There is either a leak in the hose, the hose clamp came off or loosened. The reason the canister is filling up with fuel is this leaking fuel line is spraying fuel into the vapor line. Do not replace your canister until you fix the problem. Make sense? Replace the pump while you got the tank dropped…cheap insurance.
That's very interesting. Sorry I haven't responded timely to this; I've been out of town for a while. My new pump is in from Racetronix, so I will be dropping the tank soon to check things out and replace the pump. Will report back here what I find. Thanks.
Steve