PDA

View Full Version : 231 V6 Carbureted Parts

Derek Hall
03-22-2005, 01:13 AM
I have several 87 Regals with the 307 Olds V8. I've had Regals with Chevy smallblocks, but I want to keep it all Buick this time. I'm considering one of three options for a replacement engine in one of these cars.

1. A 3.8 Turbo (which will require gathering the appropriate parts from Ebay or other sources)

2. A Buick 455

3. A Gen-One 3.8 with 4 Barrel and intake, heads, heavy machine work, headers, etc.

Edelbrock makes an intake manifold and cam, but they are weak. They have no listing for heads. TA Performance has no listings either. Does anyone know of a company that makes serious performance intake, cam, and heads for the 3.8 using a 4 barrel setup?

If I go the 3.8 non-turbo route, I'm looking to make 450-500 horsepower even if I have to spend some serious cash. I know it can be done because I've seen rail cars with 3.8 4 barrel running 7's at the track. I want something different.

Thanks

Keller
03-22-2005, 04:22 AM
Any of the three would be a decent choice. My thoughts:

1. A lot easier/cheaper to do by starting with a TR to begin with. At least for a stock installation. If you want to go this route and homebrew, why not consider building a strong motor. Either a girdled stock block, Stage II, or TA aluminum Stage II.

2. A great way to go. Makes for a real surprise combo on the street. A 455 is only 75 lbs. heavier than a Chevy 350. Properly built, they pull like a freight train and last forever.

3. A unique way to go. Not many of this combo around. Kenne-Bell used to tout this combo for Skyhawks. More and better parts available now. Trick here is building it to rev a bit. I'd suggest either a girdled stock block if your keeping it conservative, or taking a serious look at the TA aluminum Stage II stuff if you want to go crazy with it.

Edelbrock makes an intake manifold and cam, but they are weak. They have no listing for heads. TA Performance has no listings either. Does anyone know of a company that makes serious performance intake, cam, and heads for the 3.8 using a 4 barrel setup?

See http://www.taperformance.com/ That site has the goodies you're looking for and must have missed. There are plenty of other cam sources such as Comp, Lunatti, and others.

As far as the 7 second D/ED V6 dragsters, those are all Stage II motors. Same with the Indy cars and the old Busch series cars. All right from GM. See http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/blocks/blockguide.html for some pics of what makes the stock and Stage II blocks differ.

Derek Hall
03-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks for your help.

Time to start my homework for this project.

Keller
03-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Note that many manufacturers may have a few parts for the 231/455. But they just don't show up in Jegs/Summit catalogs. Why? Because the parts aren't big sellers! (Not as big as Chevy 350 parts...) Try seaching the web site or calling their hotlines. They often stock the parts, and don't have them listed. Or...search the manufacturers websites first to get part numbers, then call your favorite vendor.

Or just stick with Buick vendors.

ElectraJim found it easier to get a replacement drive gear for his 455 MSD distributor from the MSD trailer at an NHRA event than going through Summit. There are all kinds of cars in the stock classes at NHRA events.

Derek Hall
03-23-2005, 02:24 AM
Yeah, I've been checking websites first. I won't even bother with the catalogs like you said, although Summit did list some Edelbrock 3.8 components in the paper catalog surprisingly.

I saw some vendors in the back of GM High Tech that I'm going to call.

If I go the 3.8 4 barrel route, finding a suitable intake manifold will be the biggest obstacle.

I even considered building up a Gen-Two 3800 with a supercharger, but the logistics of converting to a RWD configuration with that block and charger designs are very in-depth and most likely not worth it.

Keller
03-23-2005, 07:05 PM
I saw some vendors in the back of GM High Tech that I'm going to call.

Try the Buick V8 vendors. I think http://www.buickv8.com/ has a list, but I can't seem to get there right now.

I even considered building up a Gen-Two 3800 with a supercharger, but the logistics of converting to a RWD configuration with that block and charger designs are very in-depth and most likely not worth it.

Just use a supercharged RWD one! They make them...for Holdens on the Australian market. A bit or browsing brought up http://www.citydismantlers.com.au/ The engines come in Holden Commodore's. The AU$-US$ exchange rate is very favorable and you'd really have something unique. In this country, anyway.

Derek Hall
03-23-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the valuable information again. More options make the project easier.