PDA

View Full Version : new gas tank

bobbysixkiller
10-27-2005, 09:45 PM
my 87 g-nash started to smell of fuel, so i dropped the tank and sending unit was cracked. decided to get new unit and tank. the dude i ordered the sending unit from told me if i replace the tank with a new one that they don't inclide the baffles in a reproduction tank and it will make my car run lean and blow the engine. is this advice good ??

dvsgn
10-27-2005, 10:58 PM
no ,i have one of these aftermarket tanks in my 86 gn/made by spectra.
the only problem is if you run it low on fuel (less than 1/4 tank),and you
are on a long turn(ie off ramp),it might starve for fuel.but you never leave less
than 1/4 of fuel in your car (fuel injected car)anyway ,because the fuel cools
the pump.
hope this helps!!

bobbysixkiller
10-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info..i'll see if i can afford to keep her above a 1/4 tank...

Keller
10-28-2005, 03:19 PM
What part of the sending unit exactly is cracked? The part that gives fill level back to the gauge? Why buy an entire tank because of this?

Your suspicions about an unbaffled tank are not unfounded.

bobbysixkiller
10-28-2005, 03:27 PM
the car was from mass, and has some rust underneath...including the three outlets on the sending unit. one was rusted through so i had it sand blasted and fixed. i wire brushed the tank and painted it black and thought i was in good shape until the gas smell returned. i pulled the tank and the connections all seem to be good but the top of the tank is covered in gas. so to replace both the tank and sending unit seemed like a good solution to my headache.

bobbysixkiller
10-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Is there anyone out there that makes an aftermarket baffled tank?