PDA

View Full Version : buzzing/whining sound on heavy acceleration

87geeinn
11-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Hello, this is my first post, so it may be a little while before I get the hang of things on here. Here's my area of concern:

This weekend I added a new adjustable wastegate to replace the stock one (set the arm to the stock length for now); I added the RJC plate; added a fuel gauge at the rail; I replaced the stock fpr with the Kirban's billet aluminum one and set it at 42psi w/vac off as a starting point for tuning purposes. After doing this, I have noticed that under heavy acceleration I get a fairly loud buzzing/whining sound that seems to be coming from under the hood. Any ideas what this is and if I should be alarmed? I have a Scanmaster on the way so I can dig in to the numbers next week after I learn how to use it.

kenmosher
11-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Sounds like a loose intercooler hose ... check the clamps.

87geeinn
11-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Nope. Checked 'em and their tight as a tick. To be a little more descriptive as to the actual sound, it sounds as if you are blowing on a strip of paper held taught so that it produces a whining sound that increases in intensity as more fuel and air flow is added. I also forgot to mention that I cleaned my alternator with CRC brand Lectra-Motive by spraying a fair amount into the alternator. May I possibly have damaged the alternator? That cleaner is made especially for the purpose of cleaning electrical components.

87geeinn
11-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Could someone please help. I'm a newbie and trying to learn as much as I can without blowing something up. Since the factory setting is somewhere around 37psi, could raising the pressure to 42psi be too much fuel when only running a factory boost setting of around 14.7psi? Could that be where my whining noise is coming from? Too much fuel at one time? I'm not going to turn the boost up until I get the Scan Master. I suppose I could dial the pressure back a few psi and then see if it goes away.

Keller
11-14-2005, 07:42 PM
My guess is still some air leak. Could be from the RJC plate install, etc. Does it only happen under boost? You could disconnecct the wastegate flapper from the actuator and verify. You'd still go through the revs, but never get into boost.

87geeinn
11-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to turn the fuel pressure down about 2-3psi and take it for a spin to see if that helps. If the noise is still there, I'll try your advice about the wastegate. However, this brings me to another (newbie) question I had. I see Kirban's sells a 'wastegate tool' and am not sure how to adjust the wastegate properly. What is the downpipe puck? Do you just pull on the rod and it comes out of the piece that attaches to the turbo so that you can shorten or lengthen the rod? Or do you have to remove that tiny little clip? By the way, I'm scared that little clip is going to break if I mess with it anymore. I am aware that shortening the rod = more boost/longer length = less boost. BTW, there is SOOOOOOO much info on this site that it is making my head spin! But I'm addicted to learning the in's and out's of my car :)

Keller
11-14-2005, 10:46 PM
:nope: Why not ask wastegate questions in the turbo area. Makes more sense. That way, if someone else comes along with the same question, they'll find the discussion. :nono:

87geeinn
11-14-2005, 10:48 PM
10-4. I'm a noob sorry. I'm a quick learner though.

kenmosher
11-15-2005, 01:05 AM
Fuel pressure won't make any noises ... if the fuel pressure is a little high, all it'll do is make the car a bit richer (and maybe a bit slower to spool).

You describe a classic air leak under boost ... normally the intercooler hoses or uppipe hoses make that noise. Since you disturbed the upper plenum, I'd check to make sure all the hoses are seated completely (especially on the bottom sides where it's hard to see).

87geeinn
11-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Appreciate the advice and fixed the problem. It probably was an air leak although I'm not sure exactly where it was coming from. What I did was removed the plate and one of the two gaskets (leaving one installed as in a stock setup), torqued it back down and took it for a spin; noise still present. Removed both gaskets, reinstalled both gaskets and plate and took for a spin; noise now gone. Appears to me like the gaskets and plate were seated funny and maybe a very tiny leak making a big noise due to the highly pressurized air coming out of it. Well, hopefully this will help some people in the future if others have the same problem.

slicnick321
11-22-2005, 03:33 AM
Fuel pressure won't make any noises ... if the fuel pressure is a little high, all it'll do is make the car a bit richer (and maybe a bit slower to spool).

so does this mean that since i run 42 psi that i should be alright with having enough fuel? the injectors are 42.4# with a walbro 340 pump.

Keller
11-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Huh? :what:

There is no numerical formula, per se. What is right depends on your O2 numbers, INT and BLM numbers, and whether the car is running right. Not a magic fuel pressure # for injectors and turbo.