PDA

View Full Version : fuel system help!?!?

1quicksix
02-27-2006, 10:07 PM
hey guys i have a 87 gn with 43,000 miles that is bone stock and im looking to upgrade performance. I want to run low 12s to mid 11s while keeping the car very drivable. What are the best injectors, pump, reg, and chip for this? Also is bowling green customs still buisness and how contact them i know they used to make an adjustable regulator that looked stock and had a screw in the top. Do they or anyone else still make something like this?

NOTACARLO
02-27-2006, 10:26 PM
I think Bowling Green Customs goes by Southern Customs now....or they are gone alltogether. (it's been a while)

As far as injectors go, what kind of turbo do you want to run with? I believe a TA49 will get you where you want. You can team that up with 6 Mototron 60# injectors - which do not require a driver change in the ECM. I have not seen the "stock appearing" regulator in a looong while, but Accufab makes a real nice piece (I think Accufab makes it, everyone sells it).

Do you have a scantool to monitor the things you want to do? I would put the money on that first......hmmmm, maybe a TurboLink :yesnod:

As far as fuel delivery...Walbro makes a great pump (340 I believe) that is a drop in. I would reccomend a hotwire kit to make sure you get 13.5+ volts.

Another option is to call Red Armstrong at QuadAir and tell him what you want to accomplish, and he will tell you what you need. - super nice guy

DISCLAIMER - I do not know of the reliability of the 60-65# Mototrons as they are fairly new to me....just a thought. A typical replacement injector is the Lucas 009 for those who want a little more - I stress a little.

Google: Accufab Racing, Kirban Performance, Racetronix, Full Throttle Speed and any and all of the vendors on the vendor page.

Oh Yeah!! 12's are easy with stock turbo's. 11's are attainable but costly.

kenmosher
02-28-2006, 12:34 AM
The 60s are a well proven piece ... they have thousands of hours of marine use on very high horsepower Mercury Racing engines (the Mercury Dominator 1150 uses 2 per cylinder and a twin screwcharger to make 1150 HP in a boat).

They have been used in various aftermarket automotive applications now for over a year with great results (including some really outrageous motorcycles).

These were specially spec'ed pieces for high perf use and manufactured/tested to very precise standards. Very cool parts!

JHensberry
02-28-2006, 06:11 PM
IMHO, put your $$$$ in gauges and scan tools first, then FP/hotwire. The key is to get it running as well as possible bone stock, then build from there, not too throw $$$$ and parts at it and wonder WTF? Check out the tech articles and look under recipes. 12s and 11s are very attainable without breaking open the motor.

kenmosher
02-28-2006, 07:32 PM
+1 ...

:werd:

1quicksix
02-28-2006, 09:19 PM
what is anyones opinion on using the higher pressure turbo trans am regulator?? and how well would it work with the walbro 340 or which pump would this work best with?? Also how fast/how much boost can you run untill that reg. is maxed out??

kenmosher
02-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Get an adjustable ... worth the money and will allow for tuning.