PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Sending Unit / Pump

rascal92
03-16-2006, 09:53 PM
The gauge on my '87 National is shot, i know its time to replace the fuel sending unit...Just wondering, since the sending unit for analog gauges has been discontinued, is it possible to use the unit for digital? I've heard that the digital units are pretty crappy though. Any advice...
As for the pump, any good ideas on what would be a great replacement?

JHensberry
03-16-2006, 10:10 PM
There are options out there for you for the sending unit, although I can not recall off hand. Someone else can inform us both, mine is almost gone. As far as the fuel pump, a Walbro 340 with hotwire is a good way to start, along with an adjustable FPR and FP gauge.

Keller
03-17-2006, 03:04 AM
is it possible to use the unit for digital? I've heard that the digital units are pretty crappy though.
You can use it, but the impedance is different. It may read wrong.

Why would it be 'crappy'?

Your original may just have a bad/loose wire or have a bad spot rubbed in the armature of the sending unit. It may be able to be repaired. A lot cheaper than a whole new unit. If you can find one.

trizue
03-26-2006, 06:00 PM
if you have the analog dash you don't want the sending unit from the digital dash set up. It will read 1/2 tank when you are actually empty! When I got my car it had an analog dash with the digital dash sending unit. The analog sending unit is very hard to find and expensive if you can find one. I measured and cut the old sender off my fuel pump hanger, then took a sender from a 95 Buick Century(I think) and brazed it to my old hanger assembly by opening the holes up on both pieces and sticking a 1/4 brake line inside both. After some minor trimming and bending of the float it works great. Cheap and effective. Just make sure whatever GM sender you use has the resistance value for the analog dash.

Keller
03-26-2006, 06:51 PM
See a link on this thread for a great way to fix a misreading sending unit: http://www.gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5074