PDA

View Full Version : 50# injectors

stizkidz
03-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Any reason why I would encounter any major problems if I ran MSD 50# injectors on a stock turbo setup GN? This would be accompanied by a proper fuel pump/FPR obviously.

Keller
03-30-2006, 07:24 PM
You'll need to modify the stock ECM drivers, of course.

stizkidz
03-30-2006, 08:30 PM
That's the reason that I want to run these actually. I did some research and apparently, these are the biggest injectors you can run on an aftermarket chip but still maintain a stock ECM.

My biggest concern is that I plan to run these with the stock turbo.

PaCemkr86
03-30-2006, 08:37 PM
the MSD 50# injectors dont require the ecm mod.. only the 55# siemens and larger injectors do.

and we have a local GN here with the same injectors with a stock turbo.. it runs dam good.
he goes by sixshot on the other buick boards

Keller
03-31-2006, 08:15 AM
the MSD 50# injectors dont require the ecm mod...
Whoops...that's right. I forgot.

Keller
03-31-2006, 08:17 AM
That's the reason that I want to run these actually. I did some research and apparently, these are the biggest injectors you can run on an aftermarket chip but still maintain a stock ECM.
Well, actually you can now run the 60# MotoTron injectors with an unmodded ECM now, too.

I guess you are preparing for a turbo upgrade in the future?

PaCemkr86
03-31-2006, 10:17 AM
Scott is right, the motoron is a better injector, I had problems with the MSD 50#'s while tunning on the dyno . they would flood the engine if you raised the fuel pressure too much.
I run the motoron 60#'s on mine and a few of the ones i work on. Hopefully Ken can shed some insite on this one

turbojd
03-31-2006, 12:15 PM
I just installed the mototron #60's on my car with a Turbo Tweak chip, and the car idles and runs fantastic.

stizkidz
03-31-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm having a hard time getting straight facts here...

First I wanted 009's and was told that they are the worst. A bunch of posts mentioned 50#ers as being superior. Now I am being told that 50#ers are not a good choice.

What would someone with experience recommend to me for someone who is upgrading their fuel system for the first time on an otherwise stock setup. I do not want to build a race car, just cure the lean conditions of the stock setup so I can safely run boost while leaving room for upgrades in the future.

PaCemkr86
04-01-2006, 05:39 AM
the 50's will work fine

kenmosher
04-01-2006, 11:04 AM
... and the 60s will work better! :party:

Basically, the 50s are a ball style injector that have a narrow fuel pressure range that they will tolerate. Once they reach the limits of this fuel pressure they get erratic ... locking open or (worse) closed. They are more sensitive to fuel pressure pulses in the rail as well.

As long as you aren't stressing them, use the proper chip, and don't run too much duty cycle or fuel pressure, they will work fine.

The new high Z MotoTron/Edge 60# (actually closer to 65#) that FullThrottle, Racetronix, and Precision are selling are superior. More linear response, made to OEM specs (originally for Mercury Marine Racing), and made specifically for Edge/MotoTron using OEM quality control. They just flat work and easily operate from 2 BAR to 5 BAR differential pressure across the injector (flowing 83#/hr at 5 BAR) while maintaining exellent low pulse width control.

OK, OK, OK ... enough of my soap box ... it's just they really work and I've used them on a lot of engine dyno tests now on 300 HP LT1s, my own 650 HP TR, up to a 950 HP Vortech LS1. They are awesome!

PaCemkr86
04-01-2006, 11:11 AM
took you long enough to reply in here... :slap:

I have had excellent results using the motorons 60-65#ers on mild to wild turbo buicks.. perfect idle, etc... no problems

kenmosher
04-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Sorry! :innocent:

Been in a seminar all last week with limited connectivity (and time). :nilly: Cool beans though!