PDA

View Full Version : Replacment gas/fuel tank

wileecoyote
04-02-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm looking to replace my old fuel tank. I'm in the process of going through my 87 WE4 and the fuel tank had small leaks in the past, and I figured in addition to the new fuel pump and wiring, etc.. I would replace the tank. Has anyone found a resonable/quality replacement. I have found Quanta products at gastanks.com and they have the tank, any suggestions??

JHensberry
04-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Just keep in mind that you need one with the correct TR baffles. The Postons catalog shows the GM307C from the gastanks.com website, so you should be OK. Darn glad you posted this cause there is an $75 difference from what they want and what the website shows.

Phatman
04-03-2006, 06:49 PM
What's the best price on the correct TR tank??

87geeinn
05-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Has anyone contacted Quanta and inquired specifically if the GM307C tank has the correct baffle in the tank? If not, I will contact them myself and post results as I would like to replace my tank and fix my sending unit at the same time.

I tried to do a search for a member who had created a page on how to fix/clean the connections on the sending unit but was unable to locate it. Anyone have the link handy?

Keller
05-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Use the "Search" that is on the dark grey bar of the Forums header and some creative word tricks.

http://home.comcast.net/~84gngary/sendingunit1.html

wileecoyote
06-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Oh, I'm not having a sender problem Scott, I actually had the rear of the tank, just to the left of the filler neck rotting through. It's weird too, because there isn't lots of rust on the rest of the car. It was just sort of seeping through. Hey 87geeinn have you called yet? I'm curious before I order one, I may just do it on my own. Whats the difference in the baffling supposed to be? Just some extra to surround the pump, thats not in the Carb regal??

Turbo2nr
06-12-2006, 06:17 AM
My baffels are loose in my OEM tank. I have heard talk about the wrong baffles, but show me just one real person who has had a problem with fuel starvation. I can't find one. Cotton's shop and about twenty other sources say the aftermarket units are just fine. I getting one from Ebay, or whatever else I can find.

Scott

wileecoyote
06-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Thats what I was wondering, one of the only suppliers I found was this Quanta fuel tanks, I think it's at www.gastanks.com or something like that. A friend of mine from NAPA said they have oem replacment but they are on a national backorder. If anyone has gotten one from Quanta or elsewhere I'd like to know about the quality of the tank.

wileecoyote
06-17-2006, 12:43 PM
OK a new thing on the fuel tanks. A friend of mine who works at GM in Flint told me this is the hot lick up there http://www.gastankrenu.com/ They guarantee the tanks for life and according to him the one he bought was awesome. It's a coating on the inside and out making it closer to a plastic coated tank I guess. I called one up there and they could get it and ship and prices wern't too bad for a lifetime warranty. Only about $40 more than that Quanta tank. Check it out guys.

Turbo2nr
06-17-2006, 12:53 PM
My gas tank would need to be cut apart, then re-spot welded to hold in the metal portion of the baffles, then new plastic baffles added. Then welded back together, treated, painted, etc,..Sounds like a PITA, and the labor would be rediculous. We have a special baffle system, not like modt other regals. Some plastic sheets, tucked into metal sheets. Weird combo.

wileecoyote
06-17-2006, 10:29 PM
I don't know I talked to a guy at the dealer in MI and he said he had them there all ready in the $200 range. Still not sure what the difference in the baffle system is. If anyone has a picture of the difference I'd like to see it.

mark ace
06-27-2006, 10:01 PM
i recently got a new tank through auto air in miluwakee, it was a spectra premium very nice tank with metal fuel pump sump. through my shop, very resonable!

mad_trbo
08-08-2006, 07:15 PM
i recently got a new tank through auto air in miluwakee, it was a spectra premium very nice tank with metal fuel pump sump. through my shop, very resonable!

What is the capacity of our tanks?

wileecoyote
09-15-2006, 10:27 AM
I called a local GM parts distributor and he said they have the factory Buick tank with seperate filler neck. Lists both N/A and Turbo models. I think I'll try getting it and take pics when I do, so everyone can finally tell me what the "correct" baffle is!

Keller
09-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Just look where the stock pump inlet is at the top of the tank. If you don't see large plastic baffles inside, tell them to keep it.

Many seem happy with the Spectra tanks, but I'll keep my stock one.

Keller
09-16-2006, 09:41 PM
What is the capacity of our tanks?
About 18 gallons if absolutely dry.