PDA

View Full Version : Beware of bad gas

87geeinn
07-08-2006, 11:52 AM
I had the pleasurable experience last week of dumping a full tank of bad gas into my GN. I knew something was up when my 02s were real low and I got a KR of 5.2 at only 10 pounds of boost whereas I usually have none at 17 pounds at WOT. Looks like somebody filled the underground tank at the SHELL STATION @ I-95 AND LPGA BLVD JUST OUTSIDE OF DAYTONA BEACH FL with 87 octane. I kept my foot out of it and drove the car until I ran as much of the gas out as I could then put 15 gallons of 93 in and my 02s and KR have all but gone away. At this point, if my math is correct, I should have about 92 octane in the tank right now (15 gal. of 93 and 3 gal. of 87).

The moral of the story for newbies like myself: After filling up at a gas station, ease into the throttle and watch your 02s and KR to make sure you didn't get duped at the gas station.

I can just picture the a-hole who either doesn't give a $%#& or doesn't think octane matters to anybody. :mad:

garrett
07-24-2006, 01:20 AM
:ohyeah: I agree with you whole heartedly. We could do some major damage to cars that are rare and very dependant on having the proper octane. The criminals who fill these tanks with 87 octane or gas diluted with oil, don't care about anyone's property. Once upon a time, if you went to a Amoco station and got their ultimate, it was the best gas. It was clear in color and said to be refined a little more. I don't know about that these days. I live in Fla. and I think the same thing happened to me. Unfortunately, I blew a head gasket. I like to strap the guy who messed with the gas down to and Florida fire ant nest for an hour.

zeus87gn
07-24-2006, 12:49 PM
I am in agreement also. Octane does matter. Even to my Jeep. I can tune it to run without audible knock, but the fuel mileage goes down like a desperate prostitute. There are sooooo many people I explain the benefits of preimium fuel to that don't agree or believe...until they try it.

I believe I would go back to that gas station and demand my money back. You never know, they might just give it to you. Especially once they know their name is out on the WWW as having cheap gas in the preimium tank. I certainly won't stop there the next time I go to Daytona.

I miss the Amoco ultimate.
BP is supposed to be selling it now, but I don't think it's the same.
The BP preimium is good stuff though.