PDA

View Full Version : Best way to drain the tank

robk46
07-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Just picked up an '86 GN thats been sitting for 6 years. Whats the best way to drain the tank? I'm thinking siphon it out, then drop it and inspect for any debris. Is there a way to flush it? Acetone?

turbofish38
07-13-2006, 04:58 PM
It sounds like the fuel pump is out. Otherwise that would be the quickest way to do it. Hook up a drain hose to the fuel rail and apply power through the test lead. You cant siphon to well with these cars. There is a restrictor at the end of the filler pipe and a lot of times the hose cant be pushed through it. Dropping the tank and siphoning the fuel out through the sending unit hole is about the easiest in these situations. Check around your area. Many radiator shops dip fuel tanks to remove the crud from inside. The dipping solutions are usually safe on plastics so they should be able to do a TR tank with out destroying the baffle.

robk46
07-13-2006, 07:10 PM
How do you apply power through the test lead? The fuel pump is not out, so I should be able to do it if I know where it is.

87geeinn
07-14-2006, 02:47 AM
There are two leads behind the alternator. One is the tach (green) and other is black (fuel pump). Use a length of wire to connect the black connector to the post on the back of the alternator. This will cause the pump to run. You will need to remove the schrader valve on the fuel rail which can be done with a paper clip.

Keller
07-15-2006, 01:51 PM
...and put a length (perhaps 6') of fuel rated hose over the end of the fuel rail and the other end into a fuel jug. Then connect the wire and start the flow. I use this setup to drain my tank before I put 'race' fuel in for a trip to the track.

robk46
07-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Well, I got it drained, but I've found a bunch of rust holes in it, so It's got to be replaced. Any tips on removing the tank?

Keller
07-15-2006, 07:04 PM
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/fuelsystem/fpinstall.html

8tsixt
08-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Well, I got it drained, but I've found a bunch of rust holes in it, so It's got to be replaced. Any tips on removing the tank?it's pretty simple to remove.