PDA

View Full Version : Where is fuel filter on 85 GN?

IL KIM
08-30-2006, 05:56 PM
I couldn't find my in-line fuel filter 16 years ago, when I added an external pump and filter, and I still can't find it today. Did some 85 models not get a filter in front of the rear wheel by the frame?? I put it onto the larger (the feed line to the engine) of the 3 lines coming out of the fuel tank. I want to replace it now, and wonder if it would be better on the return side pointing rearward? Thanks.

91rangerturbo
08-31-2006, 09:41 AM
I don't know if your using a different engine or different fuel system other than stock.

But the fuel filter is on the front of the engine right next to the drivers side frame rail on a stock fuel system...

novaderrik
09-01-2006, 05:54 PM
it is right on the front cover, driver's side, bolted to the blockoff plate where a mechanical fuel pump would be if it was a carbureted engine.

IL KIM
09-01-2006, 09:34 PM
What is a "block off plate"... anyway, it's not on the front cover or on in front of the engine by the drivers framerail... The fuel line goes down the front cover towards the driver's side and turns left, and then screws onto a hose portion that goes into the #1 crossmember.

I put an 87 engine into my 85 GN 16 years ago and couldn't find it then either. I will stop by my mom's and look at the original motor to see if there is a filter on it, but recall not being able to find it before. Call me crazy (or an idiot).

Anyway, I put a GM filter (fuel injection type) in line with the 3/8" feed line coming out of the fuel sender. Mounted it in a nice bracket where the stock single muffler used to be.

Thank you for the help.

Keller
09-02-2006, 02:30 PM
What is a "block off plate"...
It blocks off where the mechanical pump would be in a carbed motor, as has already been said. Here's one pictured from a Buick 'nailhead' project from "Rod and Custom" magazine. (isn't google fun? :shiny: ) Of course, the V6 has it on the other side of the front cover.

And ours would not be finned aluminum.

IL KIM
09-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks. You are all correct! I stopped by to see my original 85 motor in Ann Arbor at my mom's, and it where you all said it was. No wonder I couldn't find it after I swapped out my 85 motor with an 87. Thanks all.