PDA

View Full Version : How do I install an adjustable fuel regulator?

kna4977
03-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Keller, if you view this, please don't scold me for posting. I have reviewed the info on the main page, but can't find anything on how to install an adjustable fuel regulator. I just received it from ACCUFAB, and am not sure as to how to go about it. I would appreciate any info/tips/pics you guys can provide. Also, in the directions it tells me to follow the Buick Service Manual. The problem is I don't have one. First, how do I release the pressure that the instructions talk about? Also, if I put the adjustable regulator on and set pressure at 45lbs in combination with the stock pump, will the stock pump keep up???.................or, will there be issues??.........If so, what are they??....Thankx

PaCemkr86
03-02-2007, 06:52 PM
crack the fuel line open going to the fuel pressure regualtor , bleed off the pressure.
remove the vaccum line from the top of the regualtor
unscrew the fuel line going to the bottem of the regualtor.
remove the 2 mounting bolts. remove the regualtor
lube the o-ring on the new regulator with vaseline or wd-40 or something.

set the regulator in postion, start the lower fuel line to it.
mount the 2 bolts and tighten them
finish tighting the lower fuel line.
installed the vaccum hose to the top of the regualtor and then zip tie it tight.

set fuel pressure accordingly

kna4977
03-02-2007, 08:15 PM
crack the fuel line going to the fuel pressure regualtor , bleed off the pressure.
remove the vaccum line from the top of the regualtor
unscrew the fuel line going to the bottem of the regualtor.
remove the 2 mounting bolts. remove the regualtor
lube the o-ring on the new regulator with vaseline or wd-40 or something.

set the regulator in postion, start the lower fuel line to it.
mount the 2 bolts and tighten them
finish tighting the lower fuel line.
installed the vaccum hose to the top of the regualtor and then zip tie it tight.

set fuel pressure accordingly

If I crack the fuel line, won't that ruin it? If I just unbolt the fuel line from the regulator, will it not achieve the same thing, with the exception of spewing fuel everywhere?? Also, any ideas about the combination of the adjustable fuel regulator in combination with the stock pump?? Also, it seems like vaseline may be too greasy and could clog the injectors. I think WD-40 might dry them out. Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is my gut feeling...

PaCemkr86
03-02-2007, 08:21 PM
crack = means crack open aka unscrew ..

i seriously doubt vaseline will clog injectors.. but anyhow use something

and yes, you should think about upgrading the fuel pump as the stock one is barely addequit

kna4977
03-02-2007, 08:33 PM
crack = means crack open aka unscrew ..

i seriously doubt vaseline will clog injectors.. but anyhow use something

and yes, you should think about upgrading the fuel pump as the stock one is barely addequit

Sorry to ask so many dumb questions, but when you say unscrew, what do you mean? I see the 2 bolts that connect the regulator to the car, the fuel line entering the bottom of the regulator as well as the vacuum line, but other than that, I see nothing.....please elaborate...

PaCemkr86
03-02-2007, 08:39 PM
remove the fuel line from the regualtor on the bottem by unscrewing it...

you cant unbolt the fuel line cause its not bolted on there, its screwed into the regulator

kna4977
03-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Will putting the adjustable regulator on the car without changing out the stock fuel pump be detrimental? Also, how do you adjust the regulator?

Keller
03-02-2007, 11:12 PM
I would suggest:

- Letting the car cool
- Taking the cap off the driver's side of the fuel rail and set it somewhere away from the car
- Start the car and let it run until it dies (should only be a few seconds)
- Remove vacuum hose from top of regulator
- Putting a large rag over the end of the fuel rail
- Push in the Schrader valve with a small screwdriver to release what pressure is left into the rag. Insure the fuel all goes into the rag.
- Unscrew the line nut from the bottom of the fuel rail with a crescent wrench or tubing wrench. You won't be able to move it very far at a time.
- Remove the two bolts holding the regulator into the fuel rail
- Remove the regulator by pulling it out from the rail, and up off the fuel line

Install the new regulator by:
- First lube the O-ring with Vaseline, or fuel O-ring lube. (Yes, I've used Vaseline many times. Its often used to pack oil pumps before a new motor is started. It just melts under heat. No, it won't curve your spine or anything. If you want the 'official' stuff, buy it if you can find it.)
- Lube the O-ring on the line as well
- Start the line in on the bottom of the regulator and get the nut on the first thread or two
- Push the regulator (lubed!) into the fuel rail all the way
- Start the bolts in about halfway
- Start tightening up the line nut
- If everything is aligned, tighten up the bolts
- Tighten up the line nut

At this point you are essentially ready to start the car and check pressure. (hose off, of course) I would suggest replacing the factory line with a rubber hose and zip tie over the ends.

Keller
03-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Also, how do you adjust the regulator?

Loosen nut. Adjust center with Allen wrench. In = more, out = less.

You can't squeeze blood from a rock. This regulator will not improve an old, weak pump. Pressure != volume.