PDA

View Full Version : reprogram stock chip?

elmuelmu
03-30-2007, 11:40 PM
I took my car to Trackside automotive in South Florida (seemed to be a popular guy with Gn repair) because my car was surging at low throttle upon decceleratiing. After a $525 estimate to clean the injectors I figured this guy knew what he was doing. He cleaned the throttle body and injectors and said it wasn't fixed completely and that he would send my original stock chip to be programmed to deliver more fuel. I told him I didn't want to do that as my car is original and i have never seen a serice bulletin that said the stock chip was bad.

My question is this: why would anyone want to reprogram the stock chip instead of fixing the real problem. i didn't have it done and ended up paying $525 for basically nothing, guy wouldn't even admit he didn't know what he was doing or give me a break on price because of not fixing the problem. Am I missing something here or does this seem like a bogus way to fix a car?

If enough people tell me I am wrong I will be the first to apologize to the man(Jeff). Until then, I think I got ripped and this is a stupid solution to a problem. GM never recalled the chips so why would I modify mine?

thx

socalgn
03-30-2007, 11:45 PM
On this site, find the spring cleaning list, and go thru it- probably solve most of your problem.

Chip is probably OK- you have a 20 year old car with stock parts- you need to do some maintenance. Do you have a scantool?

elmuelmu
03-31-2007, 12:02 AM
I'll go through it. It just seems as though the money asked for was totally ridiculous. At this point I think i will just leave it as is as I don't trust mechanics anymore. It wasn't a HUGe problem to begin wiyth but I thought i could get it running perfectly if I had a pro do it. Guess not!

socalgn
03-31-2007, 12:40 AM
Agreed- you could pull the injectors and get them cleaned and flowed for about $200. Might want to go back to that mech and give him an earful.....

Saw your posts on the other board- you'll do fine getting the correct info to get your carr running on these sites. If you can turn a wrench, so much the better.

Don't be afraid to ask....

elmuelmu
03-31-2007, 08:08 AM
thx. I guess lesson learned this time. The car sits a lot as it only has 24k on it. Next time I take it out I will have a much better idea as to how much what he did actually helped. It still isn't fixed, though.

I was thinking maybe fuel pump. I don't know. anyone lse with ideas?

kenmosher
03-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Could be a lot of things, since sitting can make things a little "reluctant" :D

IAC sticking/misadjusted
TPS misadjusted
Weak/failing coil pack
Plugs/wires
Weak/failing fuel pump
Bad gas/water in gas
Failing MAF
Intercooler hoses loose/dry rotted