PDA

View Full Version : Stock ecm vs. injector size

81 elky
04-15-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure if I should post this as an ecm question or an injector question, so I will post this in both forums. What is the stock injector rated at in terms of flow, and how much larger injectors will the stock chip handle before an upgrade is necessary?

PaCemkr86
04-15-2007, 10:15 PM
anytime you upgrade to a larger injector you must get the matching chip

81 elky
04-16-2007, 05:19 AM
So if I upgrade from 30 to 36# a new chip is necessary? Mighr as well go bigger then.

kenmosher
04-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Yes ............

Royal-T
04-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Yep Get the 60/65#ers - and be done with it - [at least for me] - great street manners - linear fuel curve - plenty of room to grow - IMO no downfalls to these injectors.

PaCemkr86
04-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Yep Get the 60/65#ers - and be done with it - [at least for me] - great street manners - linear fuel curve - plenty of room to grow - IMO no downfalls to these injectors.
same here.. i run em on everything from mild to wild

turbomonte
05-10-2007, 07:46 PM
what does it do to your mpg with 60/65 injectors?

PaCemkr86
05-10-2007, 08:29 PM
mileage is normal.. when i keep my foot out of em.. with a good chip burner and your car being tunes these turbo buicks get good mileage..

although i build mine for racing , the good gas mileage is just a bonus

Savageninja
05-29-2007, 10:24 PM
ok where do I order them???
whats the 800 number? who sells em?
r they bosch???

too many questions =(

what if I get the wrong 60#er's?

PaCemkr86
05-29-2007, 11:30 PM
just order the ones from

www.turbotweak.com and get the matching chip there as well

86GNGUY
05-30-2007, 04:25 AM
Reg: Inject/v/s chip choice, My combo is 86GN/ stock turbo/cam/ heads/ 2.5" duals/ cat gutted/low restr dual mufflers/ rjc pwr plate/ 160 therm/ K&N/ adj fpr @40psi/ scanmaster/ hi vol fuel pump/ stock intercooler/ 009's inj./ turbo tweak alky chip/ smc alky kit/shift kit. While driving recently in town, after around an hours time the car stalled at a light, it restarted imediatley but it has never done this before i installed the tt chip with the 009's. I should mention that the chip was matched to the injector,s. Also the chip is programmed to run in open loop while idiling to give better response off idle which it does, at the cost of running richer temporarily. To continue, while heading home at about 45mph, 1/2mi. from home it puttered to a stop again and i coasted home, it would not restart. When trying to restart, it would try to fire but only black smoke came from the pipes and it would spit, obviously running way rich, and eventually backfired. Checking the plugs( R43-TS) revealled wetness and a lot of black soot from only an hours driving(mostly city). I'm wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience running a combo similar to mine, also i had about 1/2gal. of toluene in a 1/2 tank of premium . I suspect that the car going to open loop while stopping and starting in town foulled the plug's enough to cause stalling. Any comments or input from anyone regarding this situation would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post----86GNGUY.

Savageninja
05-31-2007, 01:07 AM
Being that I only have a Turbonetics 60-1 or what used to be called a cheetah stg 4, the mentality of needing a huge turbo to use large injectors or vise versa is not entirely the case? I am going to say it is not the by reading these postings. Some people may look at me crazy when telling them I am going with 60# injectors for no reason or so I can upgrade the turbo later and knowing they will be the last ones I buy this is true? for instance I can buy another GN that is virtually stock and use those injectors and simply upgrade the car as I go keeping the 60#er's (of course chaging the chip to whatever motor mods would warrant that).. hmmm
the deal from turbo tweak store seems like a great buy and also would like to do the alky kit he has on his link. Seems like the way to go. A buddy of mine here in town (whom doesnt use the internet) totally disagrees with the above mentionings. His GN hasnt ran in a couple of years....

PaCemkr86
05-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Being that I only have a Turbonetics 60-1 or what used to be called a cheetah stg 4, the mentality of needing a huge turbo to use large injectors or vise versa is not entirely the case? I am going to say it is not the by reading these postings. Some people may look at me crazy when telling them I am going with 60# injectors for no reason or so I can upgrade the turbo later and knowing they will be the last ones I buy this is true? for instance I can buy another GN that is virtually stock and use those injectors and simply upgrade the car as I go keeping the 60#er's (of course chaging the chip to whatever motor mods would warrant that).. hmmm
the deal from turbo tweak store seems like a great buy and also would like to do the alky kit he has on his link. Seems like the way to go. A buddy of mine here in town (whom doesnt use the internet) totally disagrees with the above mentionings. His GN hasnt ran in a couple of years....
you are correct

kenmosher
05-31-2007, 09:23 AM
It used to be that the older "barrel" style injectors were too slow/lazy at low pulse widths, so you had to be really careful with the injector size ... too big and you ended up with bad street manners.

The modern injectors with low mass pintles, new coil designs, different orifice plates, etc. react much faster and are more precise (and have better spray patterns). This makes them more "universal" and less critical in low flow appications, since they can still be controlled and deliver good driveabiliy (and emissions).