GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Turbo TRader > Whatzit Worth?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Newb

jaret1981 is on a distinguished road
Question Wrecked 87 GN

I was looking and found this wrecked 87 GN that was a police recovery. He has the title but the VIN tag on the dash was removed. Motor does turn over and the passenger frame horn is bent. Would need all new front sheet metal, radiator and ect.. Trying to load photos but it is not working right now. I know it would be a good size project. Any help would help me convince the Mrs that it would be a good idea.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Wrecked 87 GN

That depends on so many things. I helped start to take apart a similar '86 GN that had had a side collision on the front. It became clear that the car was very buggered up to begin with. Wiring cut and spliced everywhere. Side braces cut from the door skins. Aftermarket electric locks installed. On and on...

Pictures and records help a lot to judge what you have. Mileage makes a difference. Without more info, it is very hard to make any good conclusions.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wrecked 87 GN

Money? Location? For parts or restoration? Glass OK? Mileage?

Overall condition? The biggest problem is that it's always going to be a salvage title car, which pretty much halves the value unless you part it out.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Newb

Ok the vehicle has 77K for mileage, it is around the St.Louis area which is about 2 hours south of me. Talked to the state of IL and said if the VIN on the engine, trans and frame match they would retag it for a rebuilt vehicle after they inspected it of course. Looking to find one for a rebuild, glass is in good condition, the turbo is off the engine but it is there. The whole dog house, intercooler, radiator and core support would need to be replaced. He is asking $2800 which is to me a lil high since the frame and title hoops I will have to jump through but wanted your guys opinion. Also it has been in a garage since 95 so I know it will have some issues from sitting so long also.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

Hmm... at that price, I'd pass. I'll bet it's going to be cheaper to just buy a good running one and pay a little more up front for less aggravation when it comes to trying to find all the parts you'd need to get it running again (let alone a nice driver).

In fact, did you see the car from Ontario in the for sale section? Nicely done hot air conversion that could be swapped over to intercooled for cheaper over all investment (IMHO).

Say $4500 for the car, $2500 for stock intercooled motor, another $750 for ECM, wiring adapter, odds and ends. Maybe $8-9K total invested and have a nice driver. Of course, for $10K you can get a higher mileage intercooled car that's already done.

Just some suggestions ...
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Newb

Thanks kenmosher. Yeah I was thinking it was a lil high for what is there but wanted to bounce it off you guys the experts. I was looking to try and find one around the 2k range and I know for that price it will be a project for sure. I might just be money ahead to save a little more and get a good running one. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Wrecked 87 GN

I'm in the STL area. PM me some info on it and I can have a look at it in person if you want.

Are they hard on the price?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86
Smile Re: Wrecked 87 GN

I also would pass. For what you will spend on getting it running and driving and all legal stuff, it would be cheaper to buy a running/driving unit.

My Turbo Buick