GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Turbo TRader > Whatzit Worth?

Old 04-05-2005, 11:45 AM

Derek Hall is on a distinguished road
Default 85 WH-1 T-Type

Friend has a 85 WH-1 T-Type that I'm going to buy. He quoted a price, but I want other opinions first, possibly from some guys who own a similar car. I'm intentionally not listing the price so I can see what you have to say off the top of your heads. I've had and restored every late model car known to man including several Regals, but this will be the first turbo Regal I buy. I'm buying it only for it's low-production and I like the paint scheme, not for it's final value after restoration or for it's performance. I already plan to pick up an 87 later this year. I just want to hear what you guys have to say about this particular model.

Mileage unknown as of today
WH-1
T-Tops
Full Power Interior
3.42 non-posi (apparently ordered that way)
Five matching original finned turbine wheels, spare is mint, others good condition

Original paint in fair to good condition, comes with new GM bumper fillers unpainted. Interior 85%

Body solid, but has heavy surface rust on rockers and lower fenders.

Engine complete, but does not run. My friend bought the car not-running from a guy who started an engine tear-down and lost financing. Some of the top end is off the engine including the turbo and intake, but it's all included. The car has not rolled on it's own power in four years, but it has been garaged that entire time.

Engine rebuild is a given. Probably transmission too. Will most likely need brakes, hoses, seals, etc. and on and on. Then paint.

What do you think?? Thanks
Old 04-05-2005, 08:24 PM

87turbotwe411.9 is on a distinguished road
Bang Head Re: 85 WH-1 T-Type

i would not bother .. heavy rust underneath is a good sign , must be from jersey.. pretty much just did the same with a theft recovery.. motor-1800plus install .. trans-1300..turbo- 800.. exhaust-350.. brakes-250 parts only.. then you wil want an 87 setup on top while its out-@1500 for used parts.. floor board drivers side-@450 installed[jersey car]body mounts trunk-all 3,replaced thru trunk-@350... next one i ll buy a running car from a southern state with no rust..
Old 04-05-2005, 08:25 PM

87turbotwe411.9 is on a distinguished road
Bang Head Re: 85 WH-1 T-Type

i would not bother .. heavy rust underneath is not a good sign , must be from jersey.. pretty much just did the same with a theft recovery.. motor-1800plus install .. trans-1300..turbo- 800.. exhaust-350.. brakes-250 parts only.. then you wil want an 87 setup on top while its out-@1500 for used parts.. floor board drivers side-@450 installed[jersey car]body mounts trunk-all 3,replaced thru trunk-@350... next one i ll buy a running car from a southern state with no rust..
Old 04-06-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: 85 WH-1 T-Type

Sadly enough....this is an original Florida car, and currently garaged in Florida
Old 04-07-2005, 12:21 PM

Michael McCoy is on a distinguished road

You'll have way too much tied up in it when you're done & you'll never get any good $$ back out of it. Hot air's don't bring much $$ these days, even if it is a WH1. This is the normal scenario where someone can't afford to fix a non-intercooled TR and/or they can't find the time & parts for it. Is it gonna cost more than $1K?
TTA #999, (2) '87 GN's, '85 GN
Old 04-08-2005, 07:47 AM

$1500 as it sits.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:52 AM

I don't really care about it's resale value or performance capabilities. Stock is fine on this model. As I say, I'm getting an 87 later to build up. I just like the car. I can redo the entire car including the paint myself so all I have to supply is the parts and materials. I don't need to pay anyone else for the labor, which makes it easier on me.

If you see this, I'd like your opinion Mr. Keller??

Thanks