GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > FAQ and General > General Turbo Regal Questions

Old 02-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

kna4977 is on a distinguished road
Default I have a recipe in mind, but I don't know where to post it...

If there was a performance forum on this site, I would post this there, but since one doesn't currently exist, I don't know where else to post but here. I have a recipe in mind for my completely stock car, and I would just like some feedback before I do it. I have read the other recipes on this site, but none of those really accomplish what I have in mind (Maximum performance while looking mostly stock). The following is what I have in mind, please let me know what if anything I need to change or do different, and what gains I could expect with this combination of upgrades. Also, I have already inspected the boost lines and intercooler hoses. They are original and look good. The breather on the passenger side valve cover has been bypassed. I am going to replace the PCV valve and upgrade to a heated O2 sensor. The vacuum lines all look good as does the MAF hose and radiator. I also replaced the fuel filter. The exhaust is new, but is stock and restrictive. The transmission fluid/filter and TCC solenoid have been replaced and the engine oil is Mobil I 5W30 synthetic with a PF-52 AC Delco filter. There seems to be a small leak on the passenger side. Thankx

1. K & N RE-0810 cone filter attached to the end of the MAF and in place of the stock airbox (poor man's CAI) so it can breathe

2. 160 T-stat (Where's the best place to get one??)

3. Bosch 0280-160-237 Adjustable Fuel Regulator (Again, where is the best place to get one???)

4. Street Chip from TurboTweak ~17 lb boost, but will need the fuel pressure to achieve this without knock. Can I do this with just an adjustable fuel regulator, or do I need something in addition to it, and if so what?

thankx
Old 02-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I have a recipe in mind, but I don't know where to post it...

Well, you need to reread the Recipes then ... most will take you deep into the 12s looking more stock than what you listed there.

Get a CAI of some sort (hides the K&N ... something like the Big Mouth kit), TurboTweak chip, FUEL PUMP (did I say FUEL PUMP? ) ... , make the wastegate adjustable, adjustable regulator, exhaust, and scan tool. Then tune and pay attention to the details.

With stock exhaust and cat, it'll cost you about 25 HP ... a dump pipe for the track can be an inexpensive alternative to a cat back.

SO ... 160 stat at Kirban, Full Throttle, Poston's, etc. usually <$10

The regulator you list is NOT adjustable. That's the Sommerset Regal/TTA regulator (adds about 5 PSI over the stocker). It's worth it to just spring for the $100 and get a true adjustable.'

Basically, follow the Recipes as far as you are comfortable ... and a HUGE key is making sure the car is RIGHT BEFORE you start making changes. You need a good solid, well maintained, well adjusted TR before you start modifications ... otherwise, you'll run a pretty good chance of making a problem worse or breaking other stuff.

One other quick word of (unsolicited! ) advice ... combination is everything on these cars and the Recipes (and the variations) are proven and work. Not saying there aren't other ways to do it, but these Recipes are based on broken parts and hard lessons learned by others. What you list is basically the core pieces of any of the Recipes... fuel, air, and software (ECM). More boost, more octane, freeer air flow (intake and exhaust), tweaked ECM and traction = mid 12s all day long with tuning.

Mismatched parts can spin you into the tailspin of "Mod Hell" ... too much turbo, not enough injector, big cam, too loose converter, too much gear, not enough fuel pump, poor tune/poor chip, and any other sort of mismatch ... all can take a lot of $$$ and make an expensive slow(er) car.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition

Last edited by kenmosher; 02-17-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmosher
Well, you need to reread the Recipes then ... most will take you deep into the 12s looking more stock than what you listed there.

Get a CAI of some sort (hides the K&N ... something like the Big Mouth kit), TurboTweak chip, FUEL PUMP (did I say FUEL PUMP? ) ... , make the wastegate adjustable, adjustable regulator, exhaust, and scan tool. Then tune and pay attention to the details.

With stock exhaust and cat, it'll cost you about 25 HP ... a dump pipe for the track can be an inexpensive alternative to a cat back.

SO ... 160 stat at Kirban, Full Throttle, Poston's, etc. usually <$10

The regulator you list is NOT adjustable. That's the Sommerset Regal/TTA regulator (adds about 5 PSI over the stocker). It's worth it to just spring for the $100 and get a true adjustable.'

Basically, follow the Recipes as far as you are comfortable ... and a HUGE key is making sure the car is RIGHT BEFORE you start making changes. You need a good solid, well maintained, well adjusted TR before you start modifications ... otherwise, you'll run a pretty good chance of making a problem worse or breaking other stuff.

One other quick word of (unsolicited! ) advice ... combination is everything on these cars and the Recipes (and the variations) are proven and work. Not saying there aren't other ways to do it, but these Recipes are based on broken parts and hard lessons learned by others. What you list is basically the core pieces of any of the Recipes... fuel, air, and software (ECM). More boost, more octane, freeer air flow (intake and exhaust), tweaked ECM and traction = mid 12s all day long with tuning.

Mismatched parts can spin you into the tailspin of "Mod Hell" ... too much turbo, not enough injector, big cam, too loose converter, too much gear, not enough fuel pump, poor tune/poor chip, and any other sort of mismatch ... all can take a lot of $$$ and make an expensive slow(er) car.
I looked at the recipes again, but they just list what they did. Where can I find more information about the difficulties of each modification? Where can I find a good adjustable fuel regulator? Also, do they make any pumps that are external, or are all of the fuel pumps internal? Is there anything that I can do with just the stock pump? Is it okay to still use the stock injectors? I'm looking for a 12-13 second car by doing it the safest most economical way. I would like to keep the stock exhaust, and I really don't want to mess with the fuel pump, but I will if I have to. Also, what's a dump pipe?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:36 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: I have a recipe in mind, but I don't know where to post it...

Some modifications are listed on this site. Some aren't. Those that aren't may just never have been documented, or may be considered so simple that a writeup wasn't warranted.

Should you get your recipe together, and test it out, we'll certainly post it on the site.

You've got fuel, exhaust, etc. questions all mixed into the post. Any chance you could split these out into their appropriate areas?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller
Some modifications are listed on this site. Some aren't. Those that aren't may just never have been documented, or may be considered so simple that a writeup wasn't warranted.

Should you get your recipe together, and test it out, we'll certainly post it on the site.

You've got fuel, exhaust, etc. questions all mixed into the post. Any chance you could split these out into their appropriate areas?
I'm all about splitting them up in to appropriate areas, however, when I think about efficiency, that is contradictory to that as it will take much more time to look in several different places to come to one answer.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

After doing lots of research, this is the conclusion I have come to as far as mods. Let me know what you think.

1. K&N RE-0810 9" cone filter in place of the stock air filter box

2. 6 - R - 43 TS AC Delco Spark Plugs gapped to .35

3. Mobil - 1 5W-30 Synthetic Oil Change

4. Purolator Fuel Filter

5. Walbro internal fuel pump

6. Billet adjustable fuel regulator

7. Heated O 2 sensor upgrade

8. Turbo Buick Power Logger Scan Tool

9. TurboTweak Street Chip

10. Is there anything else I should do to get into the mid 12's??????
Old 02-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

Skip the heated O2 (unnecessary expense).

Add sticky tires (stocker will just spin).

Hmmm... sounds like the Recipe on the site, huh?
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 02-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Ken
Old 02-19-2007, 04:40 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: I have a recipe in mind, but I don't know where to post it...

Perhaps this is a more modern one. As it comes together and is tested, let us know and we will put it on the site. Of course, we want some proven results. "Sure feels faster" isn't quite the metric we'll be looking for.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I'll keep you posted