GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Headers/Downpipes/Exhaust

Old 01-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

87geeinn is on a distinguished road
Default Downpipe fit up

I'm going to the 3" TH downpipe soon. I already have the Hooker 2.5" exhaust with the test pipe in (Thank God for no emissions testing in FL!). What, if any, modifications need to be done in order to fit the 3" pipe up to the 2.5" test pipe? Is there going to be a problem with the TH pipe being to long to match directly up to the test pipe as well?
Old 01-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

NOTACARLO is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NOTACARLO
Default Re: Downpipe fit up

The TH unit doesn't include a test pipe?

If not then, take it to a muffler shop and have them expand the end of the test pipe. I think you can also find an expanded union coupler to put the two together. Try Pep Boys or Napa.

The TH pipe should fit right in. You can always cut the test pipe to fit.
Just another not stock regal. P&P heads/intake, 61mm GT, SLIC w/neck, SMC boozamahol, Sewer sized DP, 60#inj, TT 93, Hofer tranny, fuel cell, A1000 pump, stock cam/pistons, 100lb springs, titanium retainers, SS polished TA valves.

Last edited by NOTACARLO; 01-14-2006 at 04:29 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-14-2006, 05:33 PM

turbojd is on a distinguished road

I just installed an ATR 3" downpipe a couple months ago on my car, I have the Hooker 2 1/2" cat back exhaust system on my car, when I took off the stock downpipe and installed the 3" downpipe on my car I ran into a problem when I went to bolt the 3" cat. conv. into place, it would not fit in place, seems that the 3"downpipe is a little longer than the stock downpipe, I had to take the car to a muffler shop and had them cut back 8" of exhaust pipe to get the 3"cat bolted in place, HTH
87 GN PTE TA49, adj.fpr. 2 1/2" Pypes ex. 3" ATR downpipe 3" hI- flow cat, Race pro muffs. 60/65lb.mototron injectors, LT1 valve springs, heads pocket ported, 3 angle valve job, 3" LT1 maf/translator, 340 walbro/ hot wired. 93 TT chip,9"K&N.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:29 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Downpipe fit up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTACARLO
The TH unit doesn't include a test pipe?
Yes it does.

The Houston pipe inclues a test pipe with dump. Or, it is available with a cat for a bit more. The pipe extends back a bit further, so the test/cat is a little shorter than the OEM parts.

The Houston pieces are larger than 2.5" (3" is larger than 2.5") so the stock stuff would not fit - neither in diameter or length.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

NOTACARLO is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NOTACARLO

I thought so Scott. I don't think I have ever seen a THDP offered without one.
Just another not stock regal. P&P heads/intake, 61mm GT, SLIC w/neck, SMC boozamahol, Sewer sized DP, 60#inj, TT 93, Hofer tranny, fuel cell, A1000 pump, stock cam/pistons, 100lb springs, titanium retainers, SS polished TA valves.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Survivor87 is on a distinguished road

Well, that solves a little mystery for me. I was looking at my TH downpipe, which I ordered with the cat option, and trying to match things up with a three inch test pipe that I had bought separately. The test pipe is too long, so it was obviously built to go on a stck style d/p. Kind of tees me off because I specifically told the vendor I was running a Houston pipe. Guess I'll have to cut the thing and get it expanded again to fit up. Thanks for clearing that up; I wasn't able to learn anything from looking at my current exhaust system because the former owner chose to have everything welded, front to back........rats!